The National Girls Institute (NGI) seeks to advance the understanding and application of promising and evidence-based gender-responsive prevention, intervention, treatment, and aftercare programs and services for system-involved girls and their families/caregivers. NGI accomplishes its mission through a broad range of activities, including training and technical assistance; information dissemination; collaboration with researchers, program developers, practitioners, and advocates; partnerships with federal, state, and local government agencies and private service providers; policy development; and other leadership functions.
Research and practice over the last two decades have helped to advance understanding of girls’ delinquency and specialized needs. Opportunities lie in translating the current knowledge and research into practical application for professionals who are committed to improving outcomes for girls.
Training and Technical Assistance
NGI is the national training and technical assistance provider for OJJDP. NGI provides multi-level training and technical assistance to improve the job performance of individuals and service- delivery systems of states, tribes, communities, and organizations working with justice-involved girls and their families.
Technical assistance can include program evaluation, program development or development of decision-making tools, assessment instruments, leadership coaching, program monitoring and tracking, community collaborations, fundraising, etc. Descriptions of training and technical assistance provided by NGI.
1. Agency/organization submits request for TTA.
2. NGI staff review request.
3. NGI staff follow up to schedule a conference call with key staff to thoroughly understand the individual needs of the client.
4. NGI staff will coordinate with OJJDP/NTTAC for approval of TTA.
5. Based on the agency’s individual needs, NGI will carefully select the most appropriate trainer or consultant whose expertise, skills, and style best matches the needs of the requesting agency.
The client will be required to complete an online request for services and to work with NGI staff to review the goals, objectives, and desired outcomes for the training and technical assistance. Services will be tailored to meet the individual needs of each client.